A grand Edwardian pub restaurant, once the family home of a wealthy local entrepreneur, standing in extensive wooded grounds near Roundhay Park on the affluent Wetherby Road. With tranquil garden terraces, this elegant venue with open fires is a welcoming destination for relaxing Sunday lunches and pub meals with friends throughout the year.
Built in 1903, The White House was originally the family home of local entrepreneur James Holroyd Junior, owner of the world-renowned Burmantofts Pottery Company. Retaining all of its grand Edwardian style, The White House has been a popular pub restaurant since the 1970's, with attractive garden terraces, open fires and secluded nooks and crannies.
Just three miles from bustling Leeds city centre, The White House stands in extensive wooded grounds on the leafy Wetherby Road. It is one of the many fine homes built here in the early 1900's for affluent Leeds businessmen and merchants on the edge of Roundhay Park. The Park itself has myriad attractions, including Tropical World, home to the UK's largest collection of tropical plants outside of Kew. The Park is one of the largest urban parks in Europe, set in over 700 acres of woodlands, lakes and formal gardens, and offers attractive walks before retiring to The White House for a leisurely pub lunch. Further afield, The White House is only 15 minutes from the M1, offering easy access to the rugged beauty of the North Yorkshire Moors and Yorkshire Dales National Park.Read more...
Built in 1903, the elegant Edwardian White House, originally called The White Lodge, is situated on the tree-lined Wetherby Road in West Yorkshire close to Roundhay Park, and just 3 miles from Leeds. An attractive residential area housing many villas and mansions built for the wealthy merchants and businessmen of Leeds in the early 1900’s, Oakwood and Roundhay still retain today the genteel character of the Edwardian era.
The property was originally built for local entrepreneur James Holroyd Junior, who managed Burmantofts, the renowned Leeds pottery famous for its glazed terracotta. James lived at The White House with his wife, three children, a house maid and a cook. An Edwardian villa, The White House was a grand family home reached by an entrance lodge off the Wetherby Road with a long winding drive, set in extensive grounds that provide the tranquil surroundings for this lovely pub restaurant today.
The architecture of the area still reflects its Edwardian roots. The Oakwood Clock Tower, a Grade II listed landmark that marks the edge of Roundhay Park, was moved to the area in 1912 from the newly built Leeds City Markets, and still stands today just south of The White House.
Nearby Roundhay Park, set in over 700 acres of woodlands, lakes, follies and formal gardens, is a tranquil haven for the citizens of Leeds, and offers attractive walks. The Park boasts several beautiful gardens, including the pretty Monet Garden, the Canal Gardens and the spectacular Alhambra Garden. One of the Park’s most visited attractions is Tropical World, boasting the largest collection of tropical plants outside of Kew Gardens, Located with the Canal Gardens, the seven zones at Tropical World include spectacular butterflies, a reptile house, crocodiles and ever-watchful meerkats.
Leeds itself, just three miles south, offers exceptional shopping with delightful arcades, museums and art galleries. The market town of Wetherby is just 10 miles away, and The White House is less than 30 minutes from the Georgian spa town of Harrogate and the outstanding beauty of the Yorkshire Dales.
After a wonderful day out at Roundhay Park or further afield in West Yorkshire, The White House is the perfect retreat to enjoy delicious pub food in a tranquil setting, including imaginative seasonal dishes as well as traditional Sunday roasts with all the trimmings. A wide range of fine wines and cask ales, along with a warm welcome, ensure the perfect end to the day.