History of The Two Brewers and Chipperfield
The Two Brewers opened as an alehouse in 1799 in a building nestled between two cottages. The Inn’s popularity grew with the locals due to its roaring open fireplace and stone-floored taproom. After a long day’s work in the fields this was a very welcome sight indeed. To accommodate the increased trade, the Inn expanded into the cottages on either side and is still this way today.
In the 19th century, the pub acquired fame as the training quarters for many prize boxers of the day. Successful boxers, Jem Mace and Thomas Sayers sparred in the Club Room at The Two Brewers and exercised by running laps around the village green. Mace was an English boxing champion, famous for a particular ‘dancing style’ that allowed him to outwit heavier boxers. Sayers was a bare-knuckle prizefighter and was considered a national hero, so much so crowds turned out to watch his funeral cortege as it travelled to London’s Highgate Cemetery after his death. Another boxer who trained at The Two Brewers, Bob Fitzsimmons, made boxing history as the sport’s first three-division world champion.
Between 1959 and 1961 it was often possible to spot Peter Sellers in The Two Brewers. He lived across the green in Chipperfield Manorand used to bring movie stars and directors, like Stanley Kubrick and the Boulting Brothers, prolific film directors in the 40s and 50s, over to the pub for a drink. He famously bought the property in Chipperfield spontaneously after spotting an advertisement in The Sunday Times.
Today The Two Brewers retains all the warm and welcoming atmosphere of the English country pub in a tranquil rural village. With delightful walks on Chipperfield Common and located close to the Chiltern Hills, guests looking to combine a day out in the Hertfordshire countryside with a relaxing Sunday lunch, or to meet friends over a delicious unhurried pub meal, will find The Two Brewers an ideal rural retreat.
Directions to the Two Brewers
You can find the Two Brewers overlooking The Common in Chipperfield, Kings Langley. Situated just 10 minutes from Junction 20 on the M25. Key WD4 9BS into your satnav to find us.